Sign In | Create an Account | Welcome, . My Account | Logout | Home RSS

Ask the Mayor

In this monthly column, Maui County Mayor Alan Arakawa answers some of the most-asked questions submitted to his office staff via phone calls, voice messages and emails.

February 7, 2013
Alan Arakawa - Maui County Mayor ( , The Maui Weekly

Dear Mayor Arakawa,

Q: On my morning drive to work, I keep running into the same pothole. Who do I call to get the pothole fixed?

A: Potholes are a high priority for our road crews to repair. You can call the county Department of Public Works Highways Division at 270-7869 to report a pothole, and staff will help determine whether the road in question is a county road or a road maintained by the state. If you already know the pothole is on a state highway, you can call the state Department of Transportation Highways Division at 873-3535.

Article Photos

Q: We live on an automated trash pickup route. The lid on our trash cart is broken. How do I get a replacement for it?

A: It's a very simple process. Just call the Maui County Department of Environmental Management, Solid Waste Division, at 270-7875 and ask to have your trash cart lid replaced. Provide your address and your lid will be replaced in a couple of days. The trash carts are the property of the county, so the county is responsible for repair or replacement due to normal wear and tear. However, if a trash bin is left out in an unsafe place and gets lost or damaged due to negligence, it is the homeowner's responsibility to pay for a replacement. So be sure to take care of the cart, and move it back onto your property after each collection.

Q: I'm working two jobs and don't have a lot of time to run errands during the week. Is there a way I can pay my county bills online?

Article PDFs

A: There are many ways to pay online for a variety of county services, the newest of which is your water bill. Our Department of Water Supply staff worked very hard over the past few months to complete the rollout of a new billing system that will allow for monthly billing and online water payments. You can also pay online for your trash pickup, motor vehicle registration, property tax, bicycle and moped registration, bus pass, park reservations and some commercial licenses and fees. Certain surcharges may apply based on the payment method; however, with the time and effort you save by paying online, it may be well worth the nominal charge.

Some payment options include credit/debit card, and electronic checks. To see all the options, visit the county Website at, click on "Online Services" on the left margin, then select "Pay Your County Bill."

Do you have a question? Submit your Maui County-related questions to Mayor Alan Arakawa via email at, call 270-7855 or mail inquiries to 200 S. High Street, 9th Floor, Wailuku, HI 96793. Questions submitted will be considered for inclusion in this column.

To request a personal response to a concern, email



I am looking for:
News, Blogs & Events Web